Burdwan Raj College, a centre of excellence in learning, situated at the heart of Burdwan, is one of the oldest higher educational institutions of not only Bengal but that of the country as well. It holds aloft the high standards of excellence ever since its inception and continues to inspire generations of learners in the pursuit of academic endeavours and achievements. The sprawling campus of the college provides apposite atmosphere for quality teaching-learning along with ample scope for extra and co-curricular activities leading to the formation and nurturing of young -adult minds making them responsible world-citizens.
The origin of the College goes as far back as 1817 when Maharaja Tej Chand founded an anglovernacular school within the premises of his palace at Burdwan. It was extended and renamed 'High English School' by Maharaja Mahatab Chand in 1854. In spite of Bengal renaissance slowly transforming the social fabric, Burdwan remained rather indifferent to higher English education until Aftab Chand became the Maharaja of Burdwan in 1881. In the same year, he shifted the school to Natunganj and introduced First Arts courses in accordance with the permission of the University of Calcutta and christened the new unit Maharaja's College. The school became eventually named 'Raj Collegiate School' and the College 'Burdwan Raj College'
Since then, the progress of the College was steady as well as remarkable. Among the major incidents of its history, mention may be made of its transfer to Aftab House in 1941. Aftab House stands in the north-west corner of the picturesque Shyamsayar at a distance of about one kilometre from Burdwan Railway Station. Its campus measures about 17 acres and is almost contiguous to that of the University of Burdwan.
The royal patronage of Burdwan Raj College was taken over by the Government of West Bengal in 1956 under the sponsoring scheme and finally its necessary parting from the University of Calcutta became effective. Eventually, Burdwan Raj College was affiliated to the University of Burdwan in 1960 and, then, a constituent college of the University in 2006, the 125th year of its inception, with the introduction of Post-Graduate Course in Bengali. Till the date it is a single unit multishift and multi stream college.
Information(s) and content(s) available on this site are for immediate information purpose only, these cannot be treated as evidence or record.